May 15, 2013

The Many Worlds of Hugh Everett III

For my science class, I had to read a biography of a scientist or philosopher of science. At first I thought I'd read up on Kant or Descartes (the former so I might be able to actually understand what he's talking about if I ever read his stuff again, and the latter because I think he's kinda cool). However, when thinking about some more I could do, in case those two were taken, it hit me: Hugh Everett III! I have been a big fan of the Eels for a few years now, and I've also been into the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. So it blew my mind to realize that the two were connected. Mark Oliver Everett, the man behind Eels, is the son of Hugh Everett III, the man who put forth the idea that quantum mechanics actually provides a basis for the belief in parallel universes.

So I picked up the book The Many Worlds of Hugh Everett III: Multiple Universes, Mutual Assured Destruction, and the Meltdown of a Nuclear Family, by Peter Byrne. This book was put together from numerous sources, the biggest of which was the collection of papers, letters, manuscripts, notes, etc. in Mark Everett's basement--a collection he never really looked into until 2007. As such, there are tons of great facts in the book, and a lot of nice insights into Hugh's life.

But...there are quite a few problems I have with this book. First off, there is far too much physics jargon. I would be fine with that normally, but I was supposed to write a paper about his life, not solely about the science he worked with. There was far too much detail about that, and practically only a tenth of it was devoted to his family life. The other big issue was that he didn't give dates all the time. His footnotes are replete with dates for his sources, but I had a huge problem finding out when Hugh's daughter, Elizabeth, was born. I had to find it in Mark's book, Things the Grandchildren Should Know. It's 1957, by the way. Now that I think about it, I could have just used the line later when Byrne says she committed suicide in 1996, after her 39th birthday, and did the math. But I really think it's ridiculous that he didn't explicitly say that, when he gave the exact date of birth for Mark.

And he jumps around. A lot. He basically traces each idea he has through Hugh's life, usually starting around 1957. And this makes it really hard to grasp which things happened before other things, because then you're thinking about things that happened later in his life when you're going back to his early life, and then he brings you back to later, and then he won't tell you when something happened and you have to guess... I guess what I'm saying overall is that this book has really good information in it, but it's all in the wrong order.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment